Overseas Publishing Grant
- Any post-doctoral researcher affiliated with an overseas research institution who is working on an edited volume resulting from the academic events at the KIKS or on the final stage of a book project involving Korean studies (preferably using the Kyujanggak Archive materials)
- ※ Residence at Kyujanggak Institute for Korean Studies (KIKS) for 3 months is required.
- ※ A publication agreement with a leading overseas publisher is required.
- ※ Only a book project which has not received any sort of funding from other institutions is eligible for this grant.
- ※ A maximum of two people may apply for the same book project.
- Research grant of up to KRW 9 million (3 million paid monthly for maximum 3 months until February, 2023)
- ※ Grants, stipends or other forms of payment from other institutions during the fellowship are not permitted.
- Eligibility for on-campus housing
- ※ All housing-related expenses are the applicant’s responsibility. The International Center for Korean Studies (ICKS) facilitates application for the BK Residence Halls at Seoul National University (SNU). Placement is not guaranteed.
- ※ Only persons applying for a period of residency greater than 3 months are eligible to apply.
- ※ If you or your spouse own real estate in Seoul, you are not eligible to apply.
- ※ Only your legal spouse and child(ren) are permitted to reside with you in the BK Residence Halls.
- Round-trip airfare (for economy class tickets only)
- ※ The itinerary of the tickets must closely approximate the fellowship period.
- ※ The upper limit of reimbursement varies depending on the travel zone (KRW 1 million for Asia, 1.5 million for non-Asia), and is negotiable with the ICKS.
- ※ Tickets purchased with mileage points cannot be reimbursed.
- Access to libraries
- Research space
- Administrative support (Insurance is the applicant’s responsibility)
- Position & Period of Appointment
- Overseas Publishing Grant fellows will be appointed as visiting researchers of the SNU.
- The term of appointment will be 3 months, and may begin from March 1, 2022 at the earliest.
- ※ Upon being selected, fellows must confirm their fellowship period to the ICKS and set their dates of entry to and exit from Korea.
- ※ The fellowship appointment may be cancelled if a fellow disregards his/her confirmed fellowship schedule by adjusting it arbitrarily without prior consultation with the ICKS.
- Report on research results: the completed book manuscript within a month from the conclusion of the fellowship
- Acknowledgement of support: citing the affiliation with the KIKS when publishing the book project completed during the fellowship period, and providing the ICKS with a printed copy of the publication within 6 months from the conclusion of the fellowship
- Participation in events: active participation in academic events such as symposia, colloquia, book talks, and workshops hosted by the KIKS, and full cooperation in ICKS affairs (upon request and limited to 5% of the fellowship period)
- Residency requirement: residence outside Korea during the fellowship period due to unavoidable circumstances such as family events is permitted, but a pre-departure consultation with the ICKS about the destination, duration, and purpose of stay outside Korea is required. The total length of stay outside Korea during the fellowship period may not exceed 15 days.
- Application Procedure
- How to apply:
Submit an online application form through the ICKS website within the application period
- Documents required for application:
① Curriculum vitae
② Book proposal (approx. 5 pages; title, table of contents, summary, and a plan for distribution must be specified)
③ Contract of publication
④ Book manuscript (the most up-to-date version indicating its stage of completion)
- ※ If a publication contract is not available at the time of application, please submit a book proposal sent to a publisher instead. The publication contract must be submitted within one month from the beginning of fellowship at the latest.
- ※ The submitted documents for application will not be returned and will be destroyed in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.
- Application timeline:
- Application due date: December 6, 2021 9AM(Korean Time, GMT+9)
- Announcement of result: by December 15, 2021 via email
- ※ For further information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org (tel. 82-2-880-9378)